The Ishan Gala Foundation (IGF) is a small Charlottesville, 501c3 nonprofit with a mission to change the future for children with cancer. IGF provides comfort and support to families who have been impacted by children’s cancer through outreach programs, care packages, and financial support. IGF also funds important research initiatives focused on finding less toxic treatments.
IGF was founded in 2008 by Mayank and Sejal Gala after the loss of their son, Ishan, to Neuroblastoma, a form of pediatric cancer. It has since been their mission to help other families, and help find a cure so that no other family would have to go through such a tragedy. Over the course of eight years, IGF has brought together hundreds of families through events and raised thousands of dollars to raise awareness about the disease and grant some of the leading experts and institutions to fund cutting-edge trials. This year IGF has made a shift in their mission to focus on building more individualized outreach programs starting with social events for families. These events are meant to be fun and unique providing new experiences for the whole family to feel normal and build precious memories.
In the summer of 2017 IGF will hold it’s ninth annual Splash for a Cure and 5k at ACAC waterpark. IGF is looking to expand it’s community work and impact on children’s cancer.
Through our summer internship program, we are looking for talented young people passionate about helping families and willing to further the cause and contribute to finding a cure. This will be a fantastic opportunity to work in your community and learn pieces of what it’s like to work at a nonprofit children’s charity as well as execute multiple initiatives.
Summer interns will report directly to our Operations Director. We are asking for a minimum of 15 hours per week, and are flexible on what days and times. Positions start in May and will run through the beginning of September with the possibility for extensions. For more information about the Ishan Gala Foundation, please visit our website at ishangala.org and to apply for any of the below positions please email your resume and reason for applying to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Communications Intern will work with staff and volunteers on digital and media activities and actions. The Communications Intern will help develop local communication initiatives, website and social media content, and assist in the creation of Foundation materials.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with development of creative concepts and marketing strategies for promoting the work of the Foundation
- Develop content for promotional materials including electronic newsletters, web site, social media and blog
- Help create and implement an annual communications calendar
- Foster relationships with local media and help draft press releases and reach out for event marketing
- Community management of online and offline supporters
- Possess skills at initiating innovative ideas and judging correctly what will appeal to target audiences
- Exceptional writing ability and experience with writing stories
- Ability to collect and synthesize information from diverse sources
- Must be creative & resourceful
- Must be able to multi-task
- Experience with using social media: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Skills with Powerpoint/Keynote, Photoshop, iMovie, Illustrator and are extremely useful but not necessary
- Experience with Wordpress is also a plus
***Please email cover letter explaining why you would like this position and resume to email@example.com***